The Main Town Hall is the second tallest building in the Old Town of Gdańsk after St Mary’s Basilica. It is situated on the corner of Długa and Kramarska Streets and is one of the most beautiful buildings along the Royal Route.
As the name suggests, it is, or rather was for centuries, the seat of the town authorities.
The first Town Hall was established at the end of the 13th century and was located in a counting house. The oldest elements of the present Town Hall date back to 1327-36. For centuries, the grand Town Hall grew with Gdańsk and continued to gain in importance.
The building was heavily damaged when the Red Army came to Gdańsk in 1945. The tower and wooden ceilings were burned down, while the walls were hit by bullets and bombs.
The Main Town Hall is the Gothic and Renaissance seat of the city authorities, which was built over the period from 1379 to 1942.